We asked for upcycle and that’s what our incredible top 6 contestants gave us! We’re so proud of this group and everything they have produced thus far. From 299 entries down to the top 12, top 6, and after tomorrow’s results, we’ll know who our final 3 are, that’s just crazy! If you haven’t yet chosen a favorite from yesterday’s upcycle round, stop what you are doing and GO VOTE NOW!
So, before tomorrow’s results go live, today our wonderful and talented girl Sarah from Sarah M. Dorsey Designs is here to share her amazing upcycle project with everyone, did you guys see what she did for the paint round? Each week she is just blowing our minds and keeping up with these contestants! Take it away Sarah…
Hi! It’s Sarah from Sarah M. Dorsey Designs and I’m so excited to be sharing our upcycle project this week! If you follow my blog, you probably know that we recently bought a house. You may also know that we move a good bit for David’s job since he works for a project based company. Between jobs, we got a solid week to work on our new house!
Our goal for our upcycle project was to cost zero, and source everything from the house. We succeeded! We found a few duck hooks in my office (image in our upstairs before house tour here) and extra oak hardwood floor found in the pit (used to work on cars) in the garage.
I’ll spare you the before picture of pit (I don’t want anyone loosing their breakfast) but it was disgusting!! VERY dirty and wet. Here’s David working on his car (after cleaning it) ..
After letting it dry in the sun, David cut off the tongue and groove with the table saw. Then I cut them in ~20″ sections on the chop saw so they would be easier to handle. Next, using the table saw, David ripped it in half lengthwise and then turned it on the skinny end and ripped them in half lengthwise. (p.s. we recently purchased a used commercial table saw through a government liquidation site, a definite upgrade from our $15 garage sale table saw that we sold before leaving California)
As David was cutting the boards down on the table saw I started cutting the angles.
I set the chop saw to 60 degrees, cut off the end and slide the board to the first metal stop (no measuring!) and cut again.
Since we ripped the wood down the middle, we were able to use the interior for the face of the chevron pattern. So our pieces had a front and back, we cut half with the lighter (interior) side up and for the other half we cut with the darker (exterior) side up.
We counted the rows needed (12) and stacked them to count so we knew exactly the amount we would need.
We had an extra piece of 1/8″ plywood laying around, so we used that for the backing (note: 1/8″ is thin for a backer board, but since we added a frame and screwed it to the wall, we’re hoping that will prevent any potential warping)
Using wood glue, we laid out our chevron pattern (we let it dry overnight with stacks of tile on top, so it would dry flat).
Then, David cut off the excess on the table saw so that it was straight. We applied painters tape on top to cut through it, this helped prevent the wood from chipping.
Then we ripped down the remaining wood to make a frame.
We gave it a quick sand with a sanding block and attached the ducks! (prior to attaching the ducks, I cleaned them by soaking them in white vinegar and water for about 1 hour and the wiped them with a paper towel.)
Don’t forget to vote for your favorite upcycle project from yesterday’s post and then come back tomorrow to find out which top 3 are moving forward! You also still have a chance to enter for a relaxing beach vacation from Apple Vacations to Punta Cana… a Rafflecopter giveaway