I’m in love with this food combination. I’ve made several different versions of caprese salads, appetizers and entrees, but I think these little Mozzarella & Basil Tomato pockets are perfect for Mother’s Day, (or any type of gathering where women are present since they’re so darn adorable.) We had these this past Sunday for our Mother’s day get-together with my husband’s family. Sadly, my hubs and his four brothers devoured them without so much a word about their cuteness.
Recipe adapted from All You Magazine
Am I right? So cute I could eat them up. Oh wait…I did. Anyway, this recipe is super easy, involves only 3 ingredients, and has major wow factor. It almost doesn’t need a step-by-step, but for those of you who are interested here’s what you’ll need:
Fresh Marinated Mozzarella (Costco sells a brand called Formaggio that rocks)
Grape Roma Tomatoes
Fresh Basil Leaves
Is your mouth salivating yet?
1. Slice the pointy end off the tomato (so that it will stand straight) and scoop out the guts of the tomato. I used a vegetable peeler because it was the perfect size, but you could use a small spoon.
2. Line the hollowed-out tomatoes on a baking sheet.
3. Add salt and pepper to the insides of each tomato and turn it upside on the pan. Let them sit for 10 minutes to “sweat” the liquid out a bit. (Sorry, no pictures of this step!)
4. Cut the balls of mozzarella in halves (or quarters depending on the size of your tomatoes). Shred or slice the basil leaves and wrap around one piece of tomato.
5. Stuff the tomatoes with the cheese and basil. sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper (if desired) and drizzle with the marinade from the mozzarella. Place upright on a platter and voila!
Delicious mozzarella & basil tomato pockets!
I was pretty excited about these little babies.
What are your go-to appetizers for special occasions?