Perfect Valentine’s Gift {The Game of Love}

Good ole Valentine’s Day… Love it or hate it it’s coming! Well, you can thank me later, but I have the perfect gift for your hubs! This gift started over ten years ago on our very first anniversary… we were broke, still in school, and oh so in love.  Let me tell you it was a hit! So much so, that I just gave the same gift for our 10 year anniversary back in November.
**Disclaimer- This post is written totally from the perspective of a married woman that adores her husband.  I’m being honest here ladies, so you’ve been warned.  Also, if you are my mother, STOP reading right now.  Thanks!**
The Perfect Valentine’s Gift- The Game of Love
Imagine with me for a moment… It’s been a long day, you and the hubs are headed to bed.  You’ve put on your favorite comfy, frumpy sweats and a tee for bed.  Once your hubs sees your bedtime wardrobe choice he knows there’s no shot of romance for the night.  He pulls back the covers to hop in bed and… what’s this??
You’ve just pulled off the best Valentine’s Day surprise ever.  It’s time to play The Game of Love! It’s a game your hubs will love even more than the Superbowl!
All you’ll need for this DIY is some time without your hubby around, some markers, some kind of shape template, and a fitted bed sheet…Seriously mom, if you’re reading- Stop!
Ok, you can kind of see where this is going, and I must make a public confession… yes, I used one of my bff’s birth announcement as my template! It was an adorable shape- Sorry Mandi!
I spent a lot of time ironing my sheet and then had an idea… I could have just washed and dried it.  That would be easier.
Pop on your still wrinkly  ironed sheet and you’re ready to start making your game board.
If you want nice, straight lines, you can use some masking tape and your template to help with your spacing.
It doesn’t have to be perfect (trust me he won’t be too focused on your straight lines!)
Start tracing your template.  Trace it over and over again.  Darn that I couldn’t really have a friend come and help me with this DIY… awkward :)
Before removing the masking tape, I added some cute little dashes along the top.
You can add your game’s title across the top.  Don’t you love my cheesy name?  The Game of Love… still makes me laugh! Feel free to use it or come up with a less cheesy one!
Now it’s time to get creative.  I included a few presents, snacks, wardrobe changes, and lots more!
Here are a few of my squares… (if you really want to know what else I added, you can try and read the teeny writing! Ha!) I had a few gifts wrapped and ready to go and  a few yummy romantic snacks as well.
Put your mattress back and it’s ready to go! (Okay, I have some limits, so I pulled a little censored for your protection action!)
In case you’re wondering, here are  The Official Game of Love Rules:
1. The player will roll a die, but the highest number can be 3 (so divide by 2 or the game goes too fast!)
2. Each square has a 1 1/2 minute time limit
3.  No getting carried away- you have to stop at 90 seconds and roll again (the hubs might fight you on that one)
4. Only one person “plays” your role is just the game “facilitator”
5.  The Final square is “Score” and you can’t skip ahead (if ya know what I mean)
Okay, now my rationale for posting this. No, it’s not my life’s aspiration for my personal life to be all over Pinterest (don’t worry, I am cool with you pinning it though- actually I’d love it if you did!).  I just know that marriage is tough.  It takes effort each and every day, not just Valentine’s Day.  I don’t know your situation, but I know that 4 kids takes a toll on the love life.  As a woman, I have to be intentional about connecting with my husband and making him a priority (FYI “connecting” is a code word! lol).  I wanted to encourage woman to have FUN with their husbands… it’s really okay- you’re married! I call this the “Perfect Valentine’s Gift” because for me, it meant so much to Eric that I took the time to think through this, plan out the surprise, and then have an unexpected evening dedicated to us.
So, will you be using The Game of Love to attempt to “Connect” with your husband this Valentine’s Day?
Psssst! We came up with a new version of this game this year.

Comments

Oh my goodness! I love this idea! I will definitely be using this for Valentines! (Sorry I went a little crazy with the exclamation points.)

What a *FUN* idea!! I may just try to re-create this for fun…maybe an anniversary!? So cute! I just won’t blog about it…because my grandparents ready my blog ;)

Christina @ christinasadventures.com

Thanks for sharing! Marriage is tough and it is so easy for couples to get stuck in the same routine…focusing on work, kids, and not taking the time for each other. This would definitely spice it up and kick the normal routine to the curb! I love the fact that people are talking about these kinds of things…my husband and I made our new years resolution to have one date night a month. Getting a babysitter and going out with friends does not count. And instead of going on our normal dinner and a movie date, we are doing 12 things that we have never done before. We are really looking forward to the alone time and taking our marriage to a whole new level. It is hard work, but it is the best and the foundation to our family! Thanks for being so open and blogging about your great idea! ;)

Seriously unbelievable! This was super clever!
    I kinda feel like I need to pump it up a notch around here though! Geese, my poor hubby…maybe I NEED to make this game, too!! ;)

Did the sharpies bleed thru the sheet to your mattress?? just wondering if I need to put a backing on mine.. I have a sleep number.. so cant put the mattress up in the air like this.. so gonna have to get even more creative on this one, but really don’t want it to mess up whats behind it as I write my game..

6. Anonymous says

I think sometimes married couples fall into a routine and forget we have married our best friend. The rut of life duals our spontaneity and kills the romance. We tend to invest in everything else in life expect in the one who sleeps right next to us. Sorry small soapbox. 15 years married and still feels like a honeymoon. By the way this is written by a husband that is madly in love with his wife. I will be surprising her with this come February. Thanks for the idea.

7. Anonymous says

Thanks so much for the inspiration! TOTALLY doing this for this year! You’re right…it takes work! 17 years for us and 3 kids but making efforts like this make all the difference!

Yeah! This is awesome! Thanks for putting yourself out there and making yourself vulnerable to share this. This is way too much fun and I know that my marriage will be totally blessed by this.

9. Anonymous says

This is great! You’re right, any relationship is difficult, married or not, and you need to contribute to your own happiness :) I love that a woman, wife, and mother was not afraid to share this. You go girl! Also, I now know what I will be doing for V-Day this year ;) Thanks for sharing!

This is SUCH a great idea! Maybe I’ll try something similar on just a piece of poster board and hide it under the blanket? Thanks for the inspiration to start planning something “special” (wink-wink) for valentines day! :)

11. LishaP says

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! I will let you know how well it works for “other” couples…I am definitely pinning this and doing this for Valentines Night!! Thanks for the awesome cheap idea….Lord knows I need a CHEAP way to celebrate with my significant other!

Okay, I just thought of something really funny. What if, 70 years down the road, when your kids are cleaning out your old things they find this sheet. Can you imagine the laugh they will have?

I just finished making mine for V-day!! (I n-e-v-e-r make things I see on Blogs, I always think about it, but I never follow through, so this is a big deal!) Thanks for the fun idea- especially since my hubbie is headed back to Grad School and we are broke this v-day, it is the perfect low budget- high entertainment gift;) thanks again!

14. Anonymous says

Just made a “new” sheet from an old dark blue sheet. I used a few bleach pens with no problem (just draped it over the kitchen table). Still can’t believe I’m really going to do this…Eeeeekkk!!

honestly, one of the best ideas i’ve seen in a long time! bummed i didn’t come up with it! :) my hubby will love this!!! so personal, fun and “connective” haha

I made this into a board game because it was free and would take me less time to make. I look forward to playing The Game of Love on my first Valentine’s Day as a wife! Thanks!

My sheet isn’t done
    I’m feeling uptight
    I really wanted tomorrow
    To be a great night.
    But you see, I have had some dental work done
    And my face is swollen and so is my tongue
    Seems an infection has taken over my face,
    and vicodin is winning over sex, in first place.
    I go back tomorrow to remove the packing,
    so, some sexual desire is a bit lacking.
    I have promised the hubby a night to remember,
    but not tomorrow, as my face and jaw are quite tender.
    Thanks for the ideas, I’ll keep checking back.
    And if I get my sheet done, I’ll let you know, it’s a pact.
    Happy Valentine’s day to you and your man
    I’ll be laying in bed with drugs in my hand.

18. Anonymous says

Such an awesome idea…I will be making this for our anniversary! We agreed no gifts this year bc things are tight so this will be a big surprise!!!! YAY!

I just finished mine for tonight! I used an old red satin sheet I had and black sharpie. Our colors are red and black. I’m so pumped! thank you so much for sharing. You are one awesome lady! God bless!

20. Anonymous says

What a great idea! I just found this on pinterest and I’m totally going to do this for our anniversary, or maybe just because sometime! After being married for awhile it can take some creativity and ingenuity to keep things exciting… this is perfect!

21. Anonymous says

OMG! I’m like bawling like a crazy person right now! This is the most thoughtful and romantic thing I’ve ever seen. Being a woman that has been with my mate/best friend/husband (10yrs total – married almost 3) this is pure genius! And we’ve had so many life changing things occur since we’ve married that I’ve yet to feel like a newlywed… we own our own business, we’ve sold a house, bought a new house – moved, lost friends/trying to make new ones – it’s been stressful! I know that it could be worse and others have more going on but this idea really has made my day because the hubs and I are really having an issue “connecting” since we obviously are allowing all the outside stresses outweigh everything else. I plan on using this tool to help turn that around for us. A million zillion thanks to yoU!

22. Anonymous says

Just did this for our anniversary and..WOW! It was a winner. I made an extra sheet to fill in at my best friends bridal shower.

This is freaking awesome! Wait until Valentine’s Day, you say? Uh…no…I’m going to make this happen tomorrow!! Lol. Love it, such a great idea and I think it would be a good funny gift for couple friends of ours…is that weird? I tend to give dirty gifts for wedding presents too. hehehehe. Thanks for sharing-LOVE it!!

24. Halley says

My second anniversary is next week and the traditional gift is cotton. I’ve been stressed trying to figure out a meaningful cotton gift and this is perfect!!! And an excuse to buy some more sheets! Thank you so much! This is a great idea!!!

25. Anonymous says

what a great idea… I also it might help any “shy” wives out there who may find it hard to ask for what they want. My question is did you lock it away in a safe after wards so the kids never see it? I mean after all you might want to play this game again!!!

26. Anonymous says

Thank you Thank you for putting your self out there. Being this vulnerable was courageous. My husband and I have both lost our fathers, my job and our newborn twins…in 8 months. We almost lost ourselves in the process. We haven’t smiled for a long time. I did this a couple if nights ago. The look on my husband’s face was priceless. He laughed and then cried…and looked at me with such confusion on his face. This was the first time we were able to connect. We laughed and cried and talked and hugged. When you are young you don’t realize what love is. I’m so grateful that I have been through the refiner’s fire and now I do know what love is and so thankful to have it. Much blessing to you and your loved ones

I invented a self-sterilizing bed. I’m an entomologist. I unfortunately lost my cheap bed sheets
    sniffing dog to a large nose tumor at 3 and a half years old! We retired our second dog
    because we believe this is too dangerous for pesticide exposure.
    Much of the postings provide valuable information. Gijyun offered some very good tips.
    DE is a very valuable product.

28. Anonymous says

you know who just loves this? no man. none. not ever. if i came home to this i would burn those sheets right quick. you want to turn a man on, make him a sandwich. you really want to get him hot? offer him a three way with one of your friends. and not one of the big giant ones, oe of the proportional ones.

Since we have non-romantic plans for the weekend of Valentine’s Day, I decided to do this tonight. My husband said “make sure we keep these sheets” “can we play best two out of three?” and more than once he said “best game ever!” Thank you for such a great idea!

im kind of confused about how to play.. like i dont get the dice, i mean arent you pretty much gunna do all of them and for only 1m30s? can someone explain what im obviously not getting :)

• says

You are not going to do all of them. Use something to keep track of your position. If a 6 is rolled you divide by 2 and get 3. You move your token 3 squares and do what is in the square that you landed on. After the 1m30s you roll and move again.

Next time you play it will be different since the rolls of the dice will not be the same.

Yippee thank you so much for sharing! We love to play games in bed, even if it’s Rummy or Yahtzee. This is going to fit into our Valentine’s Night perfectly!

i made a cardboard version of this game and it was great. we both rolled dice so it lasted longer. and i like that we can add things to the board and change things around when we use it in the future. definitely using this again!

This was fantastic! Made it for our 25th Anniversary! For the last year my husband has worked so hard taking care of me and my father through our cancer diagnosis and treatments. He was so excited to have my attention on him. It was a blessing to be able to do something for him…and fun too! I made a spinner with 1’s and 2’s and one 3. It worked pretty good but I think we had too many 1’s….game took 2 hours!!!!

I am getting married in a month (today!!) I looooove coming across ideas like this. Thank you for posting this. I can’t wait to have fun with my husband doing stuff like this. :)

I too was worried about the sharpie going through so I put the top sheet underneath. I had thought later on that I could have just tacked the sheets to wall tight to make it easier to write. I’m doing this for hubby’s bday! (:

U R A GENIUS!! It was my DH’s B’day yesterday and i did this for him! He was blown out.. His expression was so worth it! I had been stressed out thinking what to do for his b’day this year when I found this post and hit Gold! Thanx Gal!

• Monica says

Hey Damiee- When you roll the dice- you move that many spaces on the “board” and the complete whatever the square says and so on. Enjoy!!

39. Lori says

I made this on a sheet of scrapbook paper for our first anniversary yesterday and it was a big hit! I traced around a poker chip for the spaces and just had him flip a coin (one space for heads, two for tails). Thank you so much for sharing this idea! I’m pretty sure the game board will be making more appearances this year and may need to be replaced with a sheet for his cotton gift next year.

40. Holly says

I made my own dice from a little square giftbox and just put the numbers 1 thru 3. So there were 2 of each number :)

• Monica says

Hi Leasa,

Certainly is a great way to shake things up for Valentine’s Day! Thanks for stopping by, glad you love the Love Game! :)

41. Leigh says

I love this and I actually just made it! I was wondering though, how would the sharpie writing stay through a washing of it? Let me know if you have done this. Thank you!! And thanks for this awesome idea!

• Monica says

hey Leigh! I’m sure it’s going to be a big hit! :) So, Mine is a one and done- I’ve made it a few times over the years, but then it occurred to me that you could use fabric markers so it’s washable! Next time, I’m definitely going to do that!! Thanks for reading!

42. Desirée says

I’m very excited to try this out but I wanted to know what kind of markers you used. I’m concerned about sharpies going through onto the mattress but they seem the best for lots of ink. Could you email me as soon as you get this? My SIL and I are going to be drawing our shapes on the sheet in three days. Thanks!

I pinned this well over a year ago and remembered it this year for Valentine’s day :) I bought my sheets earlier today and am looking forward to getting started. My husband is going to LOVE it! Thank you so much for sharing your idea!!

44. Bea says

Hey, ladies! I was directed to this particular blog post from another post that talked about “spicing” up the married life when you feel like things are getting a little dull, or just to show your hubby you haven’t forgotten him.
    I just made this “Game of Love” a couple weeks ago and presented it to my hubby for his b-day, which falls the week before St. Valentine’s Day. He was surprised and all smiles, but it was very late, he had some unexpected delays in getting to bed, so we postponed. We didn’t get to try it out until the 14th, so it worked out to be a b-day AND St. Valentine’s Day present, in a way. He LOVED it. I don’t know if you’re familiar with Dr. Chapman’s “The 5 Love Languages,” but my husband’s love language is “physical touch” (loves him a good massage), so this game was PERFECT for him. Need to make sure I have wine ready for next time (or champagne). Not sure how it’s going to do in the wash, but from earlier comments I’m guessing it will probably be done for… so maybe we’ll use it one more time before washing. ;) I copied a few of your ideas, and came up with some of my own. If we got to a square that was not something he felt like doing I just let him choose or roll again. Worked out great. Thanks for the creative and inspiring idea!

45. Renee says

Does it work if you weren’t to put the sheet on the mattress when drawing it out? My boyfriend lives in a different town so he lives there Mon-Fri. Our bed there is a full. BUT our bed at home (where I am) is a CAL KING. I was wondering if there was an alternative for making the sheet. Odd request but we are spending the weekend where he’s at and a full will DEFINITELY not work for a CAL KING. Thank you! Love the idea by the way. Found myself blushing trying to figure out what to put on the sheet.

• Monica says

Sure! I think you could just lay it out on the floor or somewhere you could keep it flat. Maybe use clothespins to keep it pulled tightly while you work on it? Thanks for reading EC2!! -Mon

Trackbacks