- Human trafficking generates $9.5 billion yearly in the United States. (United Nations)
- Approximately 300,000 children are at risk of being prostituted in the United States. (U.S. Department of Justice)
- The average age of entry into prostitution for a child victim in the United States is 13-14 years old. (U.S. Department of Justice)
- A pimp can make $150,000-$200,000 per child each year and the average pimp has 4 to 6 girls. (U.S. Justice Department, National Center for Missing and Exploited Children)
- The average victim may be forced to have sex up to 20-48 times a day. (Polaris Project)
- Fewer than 100 beds are available in the United States for underage victims. (Health and Human Services)
- Department Of Justice has identified the top twenty human trafficking jurisdictions in the country:” Houston • El Paso • Los Angeles • Atlanta • Chicago • Charlotte • Miami • Las Vegas • New York • Long Island • New Orleans • Washington, D.C. • Philadelphia • Phoenix • Richmond • San Diego• San Francisco • St Louis • Seattle • Tampa (Department of Justice)
- One in three teens on the street will be lured toward prostitution within 48 hours of leaving home. (National Runaway Hotline)
Trafficking is happening and sadly it’s happening locally. We’re located just outside of Philadelphia and it’s listed as one of the top cities for trafficking. Our close friends Dan & Steph decided to do something about it and two years ago they founded Worthwhile Wear. The organization has grown internationally and now is working on it’s first big US program called The Well.
(these are actual pictures of the home- exterior pictures have to be non-identifyable for safety and security reasons. The home is gorgeous though- well, it will be once we’re done!)
The Well will be a long-term residential facility where local, rescued trafficking victims will receive counseling, treatment, job training, education, life-coaching and more. This home will be a brand new start for women who have had their freedom and dignity stripped away. Worthwhile Wear recently acquired a property in the greater Bucks County area and the renovations have begun! The Well will open in September 2014, but there is a ton to do before then!
I’m spearheading the design for the home and partnering with many amazing companies that are donating materials for parts of the renovations, but there are still lots of needs. This is where EC2&YOU comes in…. During the next month, I’m going to be sharing different rooms from the house with you. I’ll be sharing colors, design boards, and also a link to My Registry. Basically, it’s a site where brides can have a registry that combines more than one store, but I thought it would be a perfect way for you guys to help me bring these rooms to life!! Giving cash is always great, but sometimes it feels like you’re “doing more” if you know exactly how you’re helping. You can see the finished makeover pictures and know that you donated the sheets, or accent pillows, or lamps etc…
I don’t ask you guys to support causes often, but guys this house is going to change lives. I look around my own home and think about how it makes me feel – safe, loved, comfortable and I want The Well to have that same feeling for any woman that sets foot inside. Yeah, we could go out any where to buy some cheap junk, but that’s all these women have ever known. It’s time for them to feel special and cherished on the inside and also the outside, by their surroundings. I want this house to express that these women are valued, they’re worthy, and they deserve more than the abusive life they knew.
So… are you with me?? I know everyone has a different financial situation, but maybe skip the Starbucks for one month- maybe ask your bus stop moms to come together and buy bedding for one room, maybe your church small group, book club, or CSA posse wants to jump on board, or maybe it’s just something you as a family can commit to. Over the next month I’ll be going room by room and together I know we can transform this house! I’ve told doubters that they have no idea just how amazing the blog community is and how much we can accomplish when we join forces!
The first room we’re going to work on together is Bedroom # 1. It’s a single bedroom on the first floor and thankfully this room really only needs basic repairs and full cosmetic work. Here’s where we’re heading style-wise with this space.
Bedroom #1: The Well
Tomorrow’s post will link directly to My Registry where you can purchase specific items needed for the makeover (like bedding, sheets, rug, lamps, etc…) I can’t wait to have that up and ready for you!
If you’d like to make a general donation towards the renovations at The Well, please use the link below. Also be sure to put “EC2&YOU” in the contribution notes section, so that we know what the funds should go towards. Worthwhile Wear is a non-profit and all your donations are deductible.
Are you on board with helping me out with this undertaking? I’d love to know if you’re willing to be a part in some way!
One huge way you can help is by spreading the word- share this post, share on FB, IG, etc… Let’s play a part in fighting to stop this horrific crime and support the women impacted by it already.
Thanks Guys- You literally Rock!!