Garage Mudroom Makeover {For the REAL Family}

You might remember that last spring I gave my front porch a face lift.  I love the door, the tiered planters, (I did a southwest version too) the house numbers… I love it all! BUT… no one ever comes through the front door.  We’re those laid back friends where you can just swing by unannounced and you’d never dream of coming through the front door- and that’s how we like it.

However, what we didn’t love was the hideous garage entryway that we were making our poor friends and loved ones endure…
In my defense, we have a Bernese Mountain Dog that gets MUDDY in the spring, but still, it was nasty! We also had a bit of a shoe issue… Basically our kids never put them away! Grr!
My hubs was going away for a few days and I decided that a garage makeover would be a perfect birthday present- he was coming home on his actual 30th birthday. In 48 hours that tested me as a DIYer and a single mom, I managed to get the reveal done in time!

Isn’t that SO.MUCH. BETTER?
I love that it actually reflects what you’re going to see when you get inside our home (not just a mud pit) and the hubs loves that the shoe issue is taken care of!
Here’s what I did…
I’ll be completely honest here for a second too… the shoe bins actually work! Only once or twice have I had to remind my oldest (of course it would be the oldest) to put her shoes away.  It’s so practical and awesome!
I’m calling this a REAL LIFE Garage Mudroom Makeover because I was not going to go all out and spend hundreds of dollars on a garage- it’s a Garage! I love some of the pictures I see in magazines and on Pinterest where every little detail is exactly perfect and pristine, but news flash… I don’t live in a magazine… My 4 kids are messy, my garage is usually housing a DIY project, and is being spray painted in all the time.  I wanted a makeover that looked good, but was realistic and not fancy just for the sake of blogging it.  Here’s an example… I could have painted the garage floor and it would have looked much cleaner, but really- spend time painting a floor that will get dirty or have fun with my kids?  I went with the kids and I’m happy about it.  So, I hope this inspires you to be willing to try a project- it doesn’t always have to look Pottery Barn perfect.
Okay, off my soap box… Here are some more fun elements…
UPDATE:  I’ve  shared the tutorials for all the projects in the room.
To check out the Locker’s Tutorial click HERE
 For the Painted Rugs post click HERE
 For the Foot Artwork post click HERE

In the meantime, I have one final detail to finish…  I am going to add some vinyl words to the door.  We have a no knocking policy in our house.  Honestly, there’s one of Kaden’s sweet little friends that always knocks when his family comes over and I give him such a hard time! (Matt, if you’re reading this- no more knocking!)  So, what I want to put on the door is something about friends and family not knocking, but I can’t come up with a good way to say it.  Can you help a girl out?
Leave me a comment if you have any ideas! I always get so inspired by all of you!
What do you think of my Real Life Garage Makeover?

Monica

Comments

1. Anonymous says

my mom had a sign on the back door “Back Door Guests Are Our Best Friends”

Awesome job. We’re working on our garage now.

Thanks for the inspiration

Love it, especially the huge artwork.
    If it was my back door, I would put “Y’all just come on in”—but then I am as country as a turnip green, and that is how I talk! Choose something that sounds like YOU!

Oh my! Love it! I’ve been thinking of painting our backdoor a fun color. Totally doing it! I love everything that you did – so wish I could do something similar, but I am up in Michigan and that just wouldn’t work up here. :(

But super awesome ideas and I’d love to implement them in some way!

love it! and I love your REAL LIFE attitude. I agree. funny, i’m actually working on our garage entry door, but don’t have the awesomesauce other stuff going on. should have a post up by tomorrow w/our little saying on it.;) can’t wait to see yours! (ps – my dream is to be a pop over house, but my house is always such a mess;) )

This is great! Our mudroom is due for a makeover, probably this winter, it’s as muddy/dirty as yours started.

I’d do something like “Only sales people knock.” or something like that, but my sense of humor is dry. :)

I so wish I had a garage to do this. It would make our kitchen so much more of a kitchen instead of a pile of everything. Any Ideas on how to talk my hubby into adding a garage onto our house? I have no storage in our house. WOnderful job!

I love the lockers! My garage has a perfect spot for something like that….hmmmm…I’d probably put something on my door that rhymes (I love little sing-songy rhymes, but not too cheesy). Something like, “Keep walking, no need for knocking”.

8. Anonymous says

Your garage looks great! I love that door color! Hope Hubs enjoyed the birthday present.
    For a saying? How about “Opportunity knocks, but friends and family don’t have to” or
    “No Knock? You Rock!!”…teehee

The aqua on the back door rocks! Love it! Your garage looks so fresh and organized, even though were not close friends, I’d come to that back door to knock. Of course, I thought from the very beginning that your front door was awesome. I’d probably have a hard time deciding which of those doors I’d like to knock on. Our house is the same as yours. No one comes to the front door except people trying to tell us something. Thanks for the inspiration, I’m getting out my paint brush and find a “love it” color for my white back door.

Love it! I hope to get started on a garage mudroom area soon — right now, our shoes, etc., are threating to take over our small enry area in our home! I have a question: How did you mount the coat hooks? Were you lucky enough to screw them into studs? Thanks!

Love this idea. I only wish my garage was set up this way so I could do this. Hmmm, I’ll have to see how I can incorporate this into our laundry room which is right off our garage. Thanks for the inspiration!

12. Tamboliya says

So creative! Wow! So organized! Cool! That is great! Be encouraged. God bless you. :) Have a great day! Your hard work paid off! :)

This is awesome. I did a whole series on how to organize your garage and you have some great ideas as well. One of my tips was making your garage feel like a room by adding art, I love how you used the photograph! I do have to say you guys have sooooo many shoes it made me laugh! I adore the painted rugs and the door. We opted to paint our walls a bright bold blue to hide all of the handprints and scuff marks. I wish we had space for lockers, maybe once we get a backyard shed we can do that. Great job!!!

14. Lola B. says

Those lockers are JUST what I’ve been looking for in our garage!!! PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE post the tutorial soon! We have a NICE weekend coming up that would be perfect to make some pretties for our garage!
    Thanks so much!

Just found your blog! Holy love the garage!! Just two days ago I told my husband. “One day I want to surprise you w/ a garage makeover while your gone.” I can’t wait to do it even more now! I might have to kick him out to do it! But I now have to go find your front door I LOVE IT!

I love it! Thanks for the inspiration! I’ve been wondering what to do with our garage bc I totally understand that it’s the main entrance and I don’t have a “mud room” to enter through. Love this idea. :)

17. tonya says

I just love that is not “Pottery Barn perfect”. It looks great and is completely functional. We added diy lockers to our garage 2 years ago and we love it, even the dog has her own locker! You’ve inspired me to finsh the project by painting the walls and door(they are gross).

Firstly, your front door is really beautiful and it is very unfortunate that it is not being used as much as it is supposed to be. Secondly, the garage makeover is amazing. I do love the aqua door and the shoe bins. The art work also looks beautiful up there. I am looking forward for all the DIY steps you have done. Thank you for sharing this post.

Hi Monica!

I absolutely love this makeover — organized but functional for a family! I would love to pin this post to The Home Depot’s Storage & Organization pinboard if you don’t mind!

Cheers,
    Caroline
    Senior Editor, The Home Depot

Besides loving the door ( love the color) I am DYING to know how you did the rugs. We have our washer/dryer outside and I would love a rug to stand on as I walk the short few feet from the door the to washer. Then I’d like another one in front in case clothes fall out. I do NOT want them touching that gross concrete. It looks like you used a stencil and just painted the words. Any particular rug that you bought?

I absolutely love this garage mudroom!!! I was struggling with how to achieve the mudroom idea in my house, and then I saw your post!! Did you build the shelving to house the back packs? Where did you purchase those awesome rugs? Thank you for sharing and inspiring me!!

What an amazing transformation! Your garage now looks a real part of your gorgeous home. What I love best are the lockers. Surely, other readers who are interested with this type of topic as well as flooring Houston regarding will appreciate what you have shared here. Those will really organize things such as the bags and shoes. Thank you for sharing this very inspiring post. I am looking forward to your other blogs.

How did you not tell us, and how did no one ask, where the rugs came from??? Im loving them! SO where did they come from?

24. Alexandra says

Did you buy lockers? or did you make them? and if so do you have a tutorial on how to make them? by the way great idea!

25. Suzanne says

LOVE the mud room!!!! But what about spiders, snakes, and mice…oh my!!!??? Really, how do u keep spiders out of their shoe bins, backpacks, coats, etc. I’m deathly afraid of the sneaky little things!!!

Trackbacks